Congerstone - Carlton - Market Bosworth - Congerstone

You need to log in as a member of Walkingworld to access the details for this walk and have an active subscription. Please join, or log in above if you are already a member.

Congerstone - Carlton - Market Bosworth - Hoo Hill - Congerstone

Close to the village of Congerstone was the biggest hall built in Leicestershire. Gopsall Hall, built in 1750 by Charles Jennens, could safely lay claim to being the grandest Georgian country house in Leicestershire with its size, grand pediment, impressive interiors and royal patronage. The grounds were equally impressive, with three large lakes and a walled garden. Lord Waring sold off most of the estate except for the house and the parklands to the Crown Estate in 1927, before selling to them the house and remaining land in 1932. The house was never to be a stately home again and was shut up until the Second World War, when in 1942 it became the No 1 Radio Mechanics School of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), who used the house and estate as an experimental radar base until 1945. It was demolished in 1951 because of damage from requisition. Little can be seen today apart from the remaining five columns of what was once a fine temple surrounded by a ha-ha in the grounds. It was in this temple that Handel locked himself away for three weeks and wrote his world-famous 'Messiah'. These ruins can be reached by taking the road towards Shackerstone and then turning first left by the school. Park by the sharp left bend opposite Castle Farm's drive and follow the footpath signs forward and left.

The name Carlton derives from the Old English Ceorl's tun, meaning settlement of the freemen. In pre-Roman times, Carlton was within the territory of a Belgic tribe called the Coritani, whose tribal centre was at Leicester. The Old Post Office, 29 Main Street, was the village post office and general store. In the churchyard is a memorial to the Alcock family who ran it for nearly 100 years. The Victorian letterbox (1871-81) was moved from here to the churchyard wall when the building was renovated in 1989. The Malt Shovel, 25 Main Street, was the original village public house. Old School Cottage, the former school, stands at the corner of Main Street and Shackerstone Walk. A tablet over the door records that it was erected 'for the education of poor children of the Parish A.D. 1847'. The school closed in 1968. The parish church registers go back to 1574, but the original building was burnt down and a new village church was built in 1764. The building was of brick on a stone plinth with a short, square tower decorated with pinnacles and was dedicated to St Michael. In 1867 this building was gothicised by Goddard and Son of Leicester and the dedication changed to St Andrew, the windows were altered and the tower with its distinctive saddleback top was added. The church clock was presented to the village in 1937 by the rector's daughter, who raised the money herself by selling needlework from door to door.

England - Central England - Leicestershire - Countryside


Birds, Butterflies, Cafe, Church, Flowers, Food Shop, Gift Shop, Great Views, Hills or Fells, Mostly Flat, Pub, Restaurant, River, Tea Shop, Toilets, Wildlife, Woodland
9/8/2012 - Walkingworld Admin

Our thanks to Roy Davenport for his update for this walk. September 2012. Adrian (Admin)

8/8/2012 - Walkingworld Admin

Our thanks to Roy Davenport for his update for this walk. August 2012. Adrian (Admin)

3/10/2012 - Walkingworld Admin

Our thanks to Roy Davenport for his updates for this walk. March 2012. Adrian (Admin)

Walkingworld members near this walk

Clubs/Walking Groups
Distance away
21.8 Miles