You need to log in as a member of Walkingworld to access the details for this walk and have an active subscription. Please join, or log in above if you are already a member.

Ely sits on the top of the Isle of Ely. There is evidence of settlements here in 4300BC. The Romans came in 100AD. In 673AD St Etheldreda founded a priory where the cathedral now stands; her sister Queen Sexburga succeeded her as Abbess.

In 870 the abbey was destroyed by the Vikings. In the 10th Century a new Benedictine monastery was built. In 1001 work began on the magnificent building that dominates the skyline on the whole of this walk. At Waymark 07, the Maltings were built in 1868 for malting barley and converted into a public hall in 1971.

Along the Quai D'Orsay is where The Time Team dig was shown on Channel 4 in May 2001. The popular Cutter Inn is so named because of the 'cut' made to the River Ouse to bring it nearer to the town. Waymark 08: the park was probably once part of the monastery. The 14th Century Porta or Walpole Gate was once the main entrance to the monastery; pilgrims, incuding monarchs, the nobility and peasants, would pass through it.

Along The Gallery on left stands Bishop's House, once the Great Hall of the monastery. Waymark 09, the Sue Ryder home was in the 15th Century the Bishop's Palace. The Russian cannon was presented by Queen Victoria to the newly-formed Ely Rifle Volunteers in 1868. It had been captured in the Crimean War.

Oliver Cromwell's (1599-1658) home is 750 years old, now a very interesting museum detailing history down the centuries. Waymark 10, The Lamb Hotel was where pilgrims stayed when visiting the cathedral and in the 19th Century it became for a while an Officers' Mess. Waymark 11: on the corner stands the Ely Museum, another very interesting place to visit.

England - East England - Cambridgeshire - Town or city


Birds, Church, Good for Wheelchairs, Great Views, Museum, National Trust, Pub, River, Stately Home, Toilets, Wildlife